Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:23 AM   #11

So if I spend a little more on the 70-200 mm it will be worth it? I noticed the less expensive version does not have IS - I assume that is okay for my purposes (who am I kidding, I cannot spend $1000+ even if it isnt)!

An add-on question: for the speedlite, do I need to get a bounce diffuser?
CynthiaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:54 AM   #12

The 70-200 f4 is a fantastic lens. The IS version is even sharper but that doesn't mean the non-IS version is bad by any stretch. You will also very much appreciate how much faster & more accurate it is to focus than the 55-250 or 70-300

However, it is a pro-grade lens built with metal not plastic. I would strongly recommend finding a local camera shop that has one in stock so you can put one on your camera. It's going to be larger/heavier than anything you're used to.

All-in-all, if the size/weight isn't an issue and you can afford it you will be thrilled with what the 70-200 f4 can do for you. But, the 55-250 does a good job too. And, it's smaller/lighter than the 70-200.

Everyone is different - I prefer the build quality of metal lenses and I prefer the performance benefits of the L quality (or Sigma EX quality) lenses. But others don't like the weight and still others get wonderful photographs with the consumer grade lenses.

As for the speedlight, I prefer using an omnibounce attachment. Costs like $18 and does a nice job of softening up the light as well as aiding diffusing it even in a bounce situation. There are other attachments which produce better results (gary fong lightsphere for one or lumiquest) but they're bulkier. And, since you can't always bounce the flash then the simple omnibounce helps you out with a softened direct flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote