Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 26, 2009, 5:07 PM   #1
Default Help with choice

Canon 24-70 2.8 L series or the 24-105. I want a all around lens for indoor and out door. By the way I have the 40D.
Canon 40D and Canon 7D
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS EF USM, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS EF-S (USM), Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Bounce dome and battery grip.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2009, 6:38 PM   #2

Imacer, I had this same question a few months ago.

For me, the advantages of the 24-105 was that it had a greater spread of focal length and it has Image Stabilization.

The advantage of the 24-70 was the 2.8 f all the way thru.

I chose the 24-70 because the faster lens gave me the ability to shoot in lower light without using a flash. In lower indoor lighting, the f4 being the best it can do, may cause you to reach for your flash when you'd really rather not.

After I make the decision and purchase, I continued to wring my hands for a while, questioning if I had done the right thing or not. Finally, one of the guys here set me straight. He told me, both are great lenses and can't go wrong with either. The only thing I was doing wrong was wasting time questioning what I had done.

Please let me know which lens you choose. I'd love to hear which lens and the why. But don't expect me to argue with you. I'm sure you'll get the right lens.

Faithfully yours,
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 8:34 PM   #3

From your signature, I can see that you already have the Tamron 28-75/2.8 and 17-50/2.8 lenses, both of which are very good, so the Canon 24-70/2.8 L doesn't really buy you anything.

And since you already have the Canon 28-135 IS, the 24-105 IS doesn't buy you much either, except maybe up to a full f-stop at the long end, but you already have that with the Canon 70-200/4.0.

What is it about your current collection that has lead you to the point where you're looking for another lens? (Not that there has to be a reason to want another lens. )
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 4:43 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The answer is neither on a crop body.

24 isn't wide enough.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote