Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:45 PM   #1
Default Can you explain please

Well I finally ordered my canon 70-300 and it will be here Wednesday! However I have a question that I can not figure out. Say I am standing 10feet away from my kitchen stove and I bring my camera to my eyes. I have a kit lens right now of 18-55, and when it is at 18 the stove looks way farther away than what my naked eye sees it. Even when I zoom into 55 it still does not seem as close as with the naked eye. How is this, I hope this is not a stupid question!! I would figure that any lens would appear closer than the naked eye like binoculars. Well kind of.....
Simtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:14 PM   #2

On an APS-C dSLR, a lens with a focal length of about 30mm has an angle of view similar to what we perceive as normal with the naked eye. However, the magnification of the viewfinder alters your perception of the angle of view. The scene that would appear in a resulting (8X10) photograph held at a distance of about 18") would be better for comparison purposes than what you see in the viewfinder.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:05 AM   #3

Understood thanks!!
Simtech is offline   Reply With Quote