Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:41 PM   #1
Default Canon 85mm 1.8 settings help

Hi, just purchased a canon 85mm 1.8, had the 50mm to try for basketball, and have upgraded, will use for next season.
I have to take some prom pictures outside, have a canon xt. Any suggestions on manual settings. Also have a 28-135mm IS...not sure which would be better, anxious to try out the 85mm.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:46 PM   #2

If you stop down to 2.8 or 3 it will increase the sharpness of the lens. And still be very fast. But if you are shooting the prom in low light without a flash, you may what to take the softer shot and open up wide.

If you have a good external flash, the zoom is a be easier to set up your shot. Again stop down a bit and it will increase the sharpness of the lens.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2010, 3:00 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hard to give settings as each type of shot needs somethign different.

Very basically the below will work.

For prom if you are talking groups or couples then an aperture between f5.6 and f8, for individuals f4 would be OK. If you are shooting indoors for a prom then flash will really help as u generally need to keep that aperture stopped down a bit to have enough depth of field.

For sports indoors, max the ISO and shoot wide open to get the highest shutter speed possible. If you are getting over 1/400s and properly exposed then you can reduce that ISO a bit to help with noise.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote