Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:50 PM   #1
Default Sigma 18-200mm vs. Canon EF 24-105mm

I'm looking at these two lenses:

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC AF OS (Optical Stabilizer) Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras

This will be for a Canon EOS Rebel T2i (already purchased)

There seems to be a tremendous amount of knowledge on Steve's forums; I've enjoyed viewing your opinons!

I know the difference in the price of these two lenses, and there is no perfect "all around lense", let's eliminate that.

I'm mostly looking for outdoors/landscape pictures, everything else is a plus.

I'm a beginner; taking a class on Saturday to get more familiar with the camera, and I'm not looking to become a professional photographer; just want to get above the next step of "point & shoot".

I know I'm not going to see a "bee on a flower" with this lens; (macro questions will come later!)

Appreciate your opinions (I know they may differenciate tremendously, but that's OK)

Thanks for your help!

jjs1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:27 PM   #2

I would think the obvious answer is the Canon 24-105. The IQ is much better it's a constant aperture and better build. I have the Sigma 18-200/OS It's a good lens. But I typically use it for vacation. The word on the Sigma is good at the wide and tele end. The FL between is suspect. I don't have the same sentiment.
Is it possible you can take your camera to the camera shop and test both lenses, bring home the memory card and view the images and decide from there.

If you want a super zoom without IS the Tamron 28-300 is very sharp from the samples I've seen

here is a discussion about the Tamron on DP review

Last edited by garman; Apr 21, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:48 AM   #3
Super Moderator

They are very different lenses in a totally different league to each other.

Do you have any lenses at the moment or did you only get the body?

I have the 24-105 and use it mainly on one of my full frame cameras. I do sometimes put it on a cropped body but for landscape you will probably find 24mm is not wide enough. On my cropped bodies as a walk around lens I use the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4. This is a very good lens with less limitations that something that has a lot more range. Sure it isn't as good as the Canon but it is designed for a crop body so has a more usable range if you want to be able to get landscapes etc.

I don't know about the quality of the Tamron, but starting at 28mm you are again really likely to struggle at the wide angle.

The Sigma you mention OK as a walk around lens but won't have the same qualities as two less extreme lenses, so the 2 lens kit option from Canon is pretty good. However if you want a single lens solution then be aware that to gain convenience you lose some sharpness and will get more lens distortions and other imperfections. Yes these problems exist in lenses with less of a zoom range but they are generally much more under control.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:43 AM   #4

24 is not wide in the cropped sensor. But on the full frame 24-105 is for me the best walk around lens. Its better than 24-70 for various reasons. Most importantly at constand F4 and IS the lens is no difficult choice if i have a Full frame camera. For the cropped, why not spend the same amount on the 17-55 F2.8 IS. THe best lens for the Cropped sensor ever
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:58 AM   #5

If you want a all around lens, the tamron 18-270 would be a better fit for your landscapes shots. The 28-300 would be to tight on the near end on a crop body for some.

What lenses do you have currently as it will give everyone a good bases for the proper lens that we can suggest?
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote