Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:18 PM   #11

Originally Posted by TerryR View Post
I didn't find the 50mm 1.4 all that useful (The 50mm 1.8 is much cheaper and probably could be justified).

The Canon 85mm prime is "primo" for portraits, but it lacks flexibility because you can't zoom it (but the quality is unsurpassed in my opinion).
TerryR, I'm wondering if you are useing a full frame body. Maybe that is why you didn't find the 50mm very useful. I'm using a crop body, and find the 50mm (effective 80mm) almost perfect for most of what I shoot.
Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:10 PM   #12

FWIW, i've owned the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 (and the new Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 OS , (image stabilized). IQ on both was lacking, perhaps I had bad copies. I presently own the Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 Di-II LD and feel its my best for the buck for a walkaround lens. I also had a copy of the Canon 15-85....actually went through quite the process before settling on the Tammy. get a good copy (non VC) and it rivals the IQ of the Canon 17-55 at 1/2 the price. AMAZING No IS, but I dont need it at that FL. I round out my bag with the Canon 85mm f/1.8 (best IQ I've experienced) and splurged on the 70-200 f/4L IS.
But the 17-50 f/2.8 is a sleeper...check online for images vs the Sigma. The Tammy seems to be favored, but its a preference thing. You cant go wrong with either at day's end...

Last edited by rrwilliams64; Oct 22, 2010 at 6:12 PM.
rrwilliams64 is offline   Reply With Quote