Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:07 PM   #1
Default 24-105 touchup

I have the 24-105 f4 and i have always liked it but i thought it was a little soft. I just assumed (yes i know what happens when you assume) that it was because i used it on a 50d which is not full frame .I thought i would give it a shot and send it to canon for a little recalibration and ta da $177.00 later it is the lens i thought it was going to be. I am now a happy man.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:12 AM   #2

Unfortunately a lot of lenses come straight from the factory needing calibration. I always like to check before I buy and everything gets an annual once over by CPS. There is also the microadjust feature on your camera body to adjust if the lens is off just a little to save yourself some money if you dont like sending glass in. All of mine are spot on. Below is a sample shot from a 135L showing how to check for front/back focus. The focus was on the box and the tape was lined up with the box at the 12 inch mark. Note that the 12 is clearly in focus and the OOF to the front and rear fade evenly. This is spot on and more dramatic at f2.
The body usually has little to do with soft images unless its AF is out as well.

JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote