Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:14 AM   #1
Default Advice on Canon Lens?

Hi guys I have just bought my first camera, Canon 40d. I really wanted a Canon 5dmark2 but couldnt afford one. I was working for a company where I took photos of newborns in the hospital and also baby sessions in studio. I plan now to open my own studio early next year, Anyway when I bought my 40d I just got the body so Im am on the hunt for 2 Canon lenses. I definatly want the Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS F/3.5-5.6 lens but have no clue to what to get next. All my sessions are indoors.
Any help would be great.
Plonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:21 AM   #2

I would pass on the ef-s 18-55 if you are planning to use the lens to make money. Go with the ef 17-55 2.8 or the really expensive 24-70 2.8L. And invest in some good lighting equipment and flashes.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 11, 2010 at 2:10 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:19 AM   #3

I agree with shturtle. For a studio, I think a priority should be lighting.

And while the Canon 18-55 IS isn't a bad lens, for studio protraits, I think you'd be better off with something longer. Canon's 15-85 IS is very good, and will work well for a variety of purposes. The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 is also a very good lens that's less expensive than the Canon I mentioned, but it's not stabilized and the stabilized version isn't as good. Tamron's 28-75/2.8 and Sigma's 24-70/2.8 are also very good, though not stabilized.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:09 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I disagree, the 18-55 is fine for studio work. Set it to f11 and you are good to go.

Spend your money on good flash equipment.

If you can use natural light in your studio you could try the 50mm f1.8, which is very reasonably priced and quite decent from f2.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:38 PM   #5

for indoor work get a Tamron 28-75/2.8 and at least 2 strobes with stands and softboxes. if the budget is really tight - with reversible brollies.
something like a Lastolite Lumen8 Studio kit will do nicely to start with, or Elinchrom D-Lite-it kit. and go from there - b/g with support system, flashmeter, more lenses, more strobes with accessories, props, etc. etc. there is no end to it.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:25 AM   #6

Thanx everyone for your replies. You have all given me some lenses to think about.
Plonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:17 AM   #7

IMHO an external flash should be your second purchase, then think about other lenses once you have taken some shots with that setup.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote