Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:22 PM   #1
Default Zoom lens decision for 50D

Looking for some input on a zoom choice for my 50D
Here's my present glass lineup:
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non VC)
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8

I was using the 55-250mm IS with my old XSi, but want a piece of glass that will match the 50D's resolving power.

I was initially considering a Sigma APO 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM , as they can be found on eBay at discounted prices, but Sigma quality varies from copy to copy (50D microadjusting notwithstanding) and it is a bigger, heavier piece of glass.

That said, I was set on the Canon 70-200 f/4, as its the sharpest of the Canon 70-200 series, given your shooting needs dont require IS or 2.8.

The last lens in my triad is the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM . Looking for thoughts on this vs. the Canon 70-200 f/4. I dont necessarily need the extra reach, (but who knows when the need may arise, it is nice to have), and this lens has IS and is a tad cheaper. Thoughts?...is the 70-200 f4 that much better? (esp re: IQ)

...my shooting will be outdoors, some indoors as light allows lacking 2.8, a mixed bag of everyday shooting needs.

Bottom line, is there a consensus on which of the aforementioned would be a better choice, price/performance ratio considered? Also, am I being biased and premature to preclude the Sigma? ahhh, decisions
rrwilliams64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:02 PM   #2

the 70-200f4L is a very sharp lens, and has better build quality the the ef 70-300 IS USM. It also focus faster. But the 70-300 is light, longer reach and has IS which helps out.

On your 55-250IS, did you find yourself shooting over 200mm allot. If so, then the 300mm might be a better options.

post 37 of this link will give you an idea what to expect with the ef 70-300 at 200 and at 300mm

Tele Zoom and Portrait Prime for Tribal Forests of Asia -- for 40D
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:13 AM   #3

The 70-300 IS USM will be useless indoors unless you're shooting still life with a tripod. The 70-200/4 would be ok for plays, recitals, etc., but for sports/action, you'll need to crank up the ISO to get decent shutter speeds. The Sigma 70-200/2.8 is generally highly regarded, though it's IQ isn't as good as the other lenses you mentioned.

I think you want a little too much from a single lens.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote