Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:29 AM   #1
Default Photography at an assembly...

I've taken good photos with all my lenses, which includes the 50mm 1.8; the 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, and now the Tamron 70-300mm SP. I took them all to an assembly at my kids' school where the "Amazing Chemistry Show" was being held.

The lighting was abysmal - the stage was more back-lit than anything. The 'mad chemist' was illuminated well when behind his labware, but was backlit any time else.

I expected the 50 1.8mm to shine.

It may have, except I needed to crop heavily to zoom in on the subject. It didn't shine at that point. HD Video? Excellent. Close quarters work? Good. Cropping? Don't think so.

I expected the 18-55mm to be too slow for the event. It did better than anticipated, but pushed for higher iso than desired, leaving the shots a bit grainy.

Given the focal range of the Tamron 70-300mm lens I didn't expect there to be enough light at all. It was the best of the three, though. I took several shots at 70mm and they were the best of the lot.

I gather that I 'hit the wall' in terms of the kit lens' capabilities at this assembly. If the Tamron 70-300mm can be considered a high-quality-even-if-it-is-sub-professional-lens, I'm ready for the 17-55mm.

I'll post some examples if the group is interested. Don't have the time right now...
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:43 AM   #2

Whoever designs school stages certainly doesn't take photography into consideration. If they did, the backdrop would be a medium gray and the lights would illuminate the front of the performers instead of the top.

In my experience, 70-200 is a good range, but you need a large aperture to get shutter speeds fast enough without using ISO settings that induce image noise.

If you're going to do this a lot, you might want to look into a 70-200/2.8 lens,
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote