Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Default Sigma 100-300 DG vs Non

I Plan to get one of the Sigma 100-300 F4 lens. I have seen both the newer DG and the older non-DG up for sale used. Is there an significant IQ difference between the two. I know that the non-DG will be un-supported a lot sooner. There is about A $200 difference between the two. Thanks Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:47 PM   #2

From Sigma Lens Technology:

DG (DG for Digital)
These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras whilst retaining suitability for traditional 35mm SLRs.
In most respects, the 100-300mm F4 EX DG APO HSM and the 100-300mm F4 EX IF / IF HSM are identical, with the exception of the digital coatings. Digital image sensors are much more reflective than film, so light will occasionally reflect off the image sensor back at the rearmost lens element, which will reflect it back at the image sensor, causing a unique kind of flare. Sigma's DG lenses have coatings on the rearmost element to prevent it from reflecting and causing that flare.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote