Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 2, 2010, 2:04 PM   #1
Default Possible issue with new lens - 50mm f1.4

Been trying to decide between the 1.4 and 1.8 for a while now, but was able to get a great deal on the 1.4 (even though I'm still new to the dSLR) so I pulled the trigger.

Anyways, I got the lens yesterday and was inspecting it. When I look at the lens from the mount point, I see a white spec inside. I cleaned the lens to be sure, so it must be inside. I'm fairly confident that this isn't a reflection based on the angles I was looking at it (I could be wrong though). I don't really see any issues with images.

Anyways, is this something to be worried about? I contacted the company and they said I could exchange it, but I would have to pay all shipping charges.
DigitalFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:51 PM   #2

This doesn't affect the lens performance...

Regardless of how well you are careful with a lens, eventually some dust will get inside anyway one of theses day, but it is not in the plane of focus so it will not show up in the final image!

Last edited by NHL; Dec 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:35 PM   #3

Sounds like dust to me too.
I cant speak for who you bought it from but most reputable dealers will exchange with either no cost to you or the worst you pay to send one back. I can only speak for myself that if I got a new lens with dust pre installed I wouldnt be happy and would be insisting on replacement completely at their cost although most of the time you will see no effect on images.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:03 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Well, on the one hand it won't affect your pictures, so don't worry about that.

On the other hand you've just shelled out for a new toy. Don't you want a pristine one?

Are you the kind of person who takes a book or magazine from the top of the stack, even though it's been thumbed? After all you're buying the content right? Or do you always get a crisp one from the middle of the stack?
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote