Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:15 PM   #1
Default Beginner DSLR user and need my next lens. Suggestios?

I just purchased my digital camera, I got a Canon Rebel XS they had a good deal on it at walmart so I went for it. So far I am very pleased. I have taken these shots with it today and yesterday posted them on the flicker website:

So I am wanting to purchase another lens but want to know what you suggest for my next lens. I would like a nice quality that will take great shots but also that is budget friendly.

Oh also any suggestions on how to improve my photos?

Edit: I just noticed I put this in the wrong area, if you need to move it or delete it and I can repost.

Last edited by kfins; Dec 5, 2010 at 8:17 PM.
kfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:02 AM   #2

Here is my advice - you are approaching the situation in a way that leads to expensive paper weights. There is no single best lens to buy. If anyone tells you you MUST buy lens A next without any thought to what you want to shoot I wouldn't trust them.

The idea is to buy based on NEED. Especially when you're on a budget - which it sounds like you are. My suggestion is to shoot with the lens you have for a little while longer - get over the hump of shooting anything and everything just because you have a new camera. Find out what you really want to take photos of. Then determine what subset of that you feel your current lens is letting you down in. Then we can give you advice on what lenses will help you in that area. I know it's not as fun as rushing out and buying another item right away. But this approach will have a higher likelihood of getting you the correct lens for what YOU shoot. If you ask a dozen canon shooters what lens they use the second most you'll probably get about 8 different answers.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:05 AM   #3

Originally Posted by kfins View Post
Edit: I just noticed I put this in the wrong area, if you need to move it or delete it and I can repost.
I moved it down to our Canon Lenses Forum for you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:17 AM   #4

Ok thank you I will do that. I moslty will be photographing family portraits, and animals like at zoos and also horses. But I will take your advice and play with my current lens for a while. Thanks
kfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:37 PM   #5

Most beginners think about zoom lenses first. Canon makes two EFS lenses that fit that bill. They make the 18-55mm and the 55-250mm. Both are decent consumer lenses, but don't expect super sharp photos from them. You probably got the first one if you bought a camera and lens package when you bought your XS, which is also at the bottom end of DSLR offering from Canon.

However, your portrait & budget comment caught my attention. First, the XS camera has a sort of built in zoom feature that you cannot do anything about. (Some guys are livid over the phrasing I just used, but it makes sense to a novice shooter.)

The built in zoom make a 100 mm lens shot as if it were 160 mm.

Therefore, a 50mm shoots like an 80mm. Here's why this is important.

A lot of photographers really like an 85mm (which is really close to 80mm) for portrait work. Canon make a really sharp, inexpensively priced, 50mm 1.8F lens. It is affectionately referred to as the "Nifty-Fifty".

That lens, in my opinion, is one of the great buys in photography. The low 1.8F is wonderful, but learn about depth of field first. (www.dofmaster.com is a great place to start).

So for your portrait work, consider that sharp little 50mm 1.8F Canon lens. You can pick one up for right around $100.

I hope there's a nifty-fifty owner who will jump in here and back me up.

Just remember, you have an Entry Level DSLR, you may one day upgrade that camera. But if you buy good lenses, you don't need to upgrade them, they fit on better cameras too. A great lens on a 10 mp entry level camera has the real potential to create great shots!

Faithfully yours,
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote