Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:54 AM   #1
Default Help with zoom lens choice

Background: I have a 30D with a Sig 70-200 2.8 and Canon 50mm. I primarily use my camera for shooting photos of my kids playing ice hockey. I recently sold an older Canon kit lens 28-70 because I was constantly getting an error message. I would like to replace my kit lens with a walk around lens bearing in mind that its use would be somewhat limited so I would prefer not to spend too much money. Note - I was looking at the Tamron 17-50 2.8 that would cost about CAD400 new. Used copies of this lens are limited and hold their value quite well and in the end I do not want to spend this much...my budget is say up to CAD250.

Can someone please suggest some other lens options that would be within my budget and considered good value lenses on the used market.

seabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:41 AM   #2

Actually, the Canon 18-55 IS is a very good lens for a very reasonable price.

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is an excellent lens but it's not stabilized and the stabilized version isn't as good. You might find a Sigma 18-50/2.8 in your price range. It's not quite as good as the Tamron, but it's still very good, but it's not stabilized either and the stabilized version of this lens isn't as good either. Sigma also has a 17-70/2.8-4.5 that's very good, but it's not stabilized, and ... wait for it ... the stabilized version isn't as good.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote