Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:30 AM   #1
Default Wedding Bells, Err, Lenses...

So the in-laws booked a friend-of-the-family photog to shoot my nefew's wedding, but it fell through so I'm next.

I'm studying wedding poses, but I could use some advice on the kit.

I have:
Canon T2i
Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6
Canon 50mm 1.8
Tamron SP70-300
Canon 430 EXII

OK, stop laughing. I've made it clear to the in-laws that I'm not replacing a $2k wedding photog, I'm simply trying to capture a few shots they can use.

With that in mind, I find that the 18-55mm lens is sharp across it's focal range http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zproducts/canon18-55f35-56is/1blur-t.gif , but isn't the fastest lens around. At the same time, a lot of wedding photos I see are shot at f5.6. The 17-55 only gains a little light wide open, so should I look for a prime somewhere in that range to speed it up? The 50mm 1.8 is not that lens, unless I'm shooting portraits- very soft at the corners until f2.8. http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/zproducts/canon50f18/1blur-t.gif.

The 430 EXII has some reach to it. I'd shoot it with an off-camera mount. I have a YN460 II on it's way, intended to blow out white backgrounds for my routine annual portrait shots at a fundraiser.

Please offer suggestions to tweak this kit (overhaul is not an option right now). Thanks!
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:19 PM   #2

Most of the posed potrait shots are shot at f5.6 t0 f8 and generally external stobes (whether it be remote flash head or studio strobe) are used when choking down on the aperture. Getting the flash off camera makes a world of difference. Getting too fast will give you too narrow a DOF for some shots when shooting at or near the wide end of lens choices. There is a time for the narrow DOF, the bridal party at the altar isnt one of them. With your current set up its all going to be about lighting.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote