Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:19 PM   #1
Default Please Help Advice Next Lens For Canon Camera

Hello everyone,

I first want to say that this forum had lots of great info to share. And look forward to one day sharing my own advice.

I'm a newbie and need some pro advice...please.

I just got a Canon Rebel T3i with the 18-55mm lens, and have the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Telephoto Zoom lens.

My wife grows lots of plants and I also live near NYC. I want to be able to take really close pics of her flowers and insects and I also want to take some great shots of nyc buildings and busy streets.

The Problem:

I found this on Amazon and was not sure if this item would work for me " Digital Concepts +1 +2 +4 +10 Close-Up Macro Filter Set with Pouch 55mm "

Should I get a "fish eye" type lens? Or both?

Last question...if you suggest getting the lens, does it have to be by Canon? I thought I read somewhere that some "no name" brands work just as good.

Thanks so much in advance for the time and advice,
Mike S
fst2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2

skip the cheapo lens, if you want to add a close up conversion lens, add the canon 500D close up lens in 58mm which is 2 dipoter, it is around 65 dollars. And it will give you much better results then el cheapo no name lenses. Also a +10 diopter it will be super hard to use, as the dof is so thin, that 90% of the frame will be out of focus.

Here are examples of a high end conversion lens on the 70-300.

T1i with EF 70-300 and 500D Close up lens

If you get a fish, you will work wide angle, and will need to defish the photo.

Also if you go with 3rd party, look at B+W or Hoya at +2 to go with the 70-300, or a +4 with the 18-55. The canon +4 is the canon 250D. To get really close you will also have to use a tripod, as you will be shooting at small apertures of F11 and higher. So it will really slow down your shutter speed and can only avoid camera shake with a tripod. And turn the IS off when shooting on a tripod.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 31, 2011 at 11:01 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i would suggest not getting a fisheye at this time, its hard to work with and hard to get something pleasing. its really a specialty lens.

if you want to go wide, i would look into non-fisheye super-wides. I.E. Tokina 12-24 f4, Tokina 11-15 2.8, Canon 10-22, Sigma 8-16, Sigma 10-20.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote