Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 6, 2004, 1:28 AM   #1
Default Quick, somebody convince me as a poor college NOT to buy....

the cheaper 170 dollar 75-300 zoom lens that Canon has. Honestly, I could really use some advice but please try to see it from my perspective as much as possible. I work for my college newspaper (and get paid!), but I bought a DR mainly for my own use cause I LOVE taking pictures. Now although I would LOVE to be able to take pictures at sporting evens or theater shows with the zoom lense (the 75-300) There is no way in the world I could aford any of the more expensive USM lenses for a very very long time. As is, I have a good year and a half of spending money going towards my DR (of course, that includes the 5 previous digi cams (PaS) I have had over the past 2 years...). I want to be able to take close up shots from far away (animals, whatever) but bottum line is the 75-300 cheapo from Canon is my only option. Of course, possibly a 250 dollar X-200 zoom lens from canon might also be an option with a bit more saving. I am wondering if I should go ahead and save for the cheapo 75-300 lens, or possibly hold out a bit longer (and by a bit, i mean a good month and a half for the 80 bucks) and get another lens with less zoom?

Thanks much, as always, I appreciate your help and advice . Sorry to beat a dead horse, but really bottum line I am looking for somebody to tell me that I will NOT be happy with the quality from the cheapo 75-300 zoom, so its not worth my money at this point...

shoelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:43 PM   #2

Well I just went to BB and held the rebel WITH the cheaper 75-300 zoom, and I came away feeling like it FELT cheap in my hands, because of the lens. I have to be honest, I think I like the slide zooms better as far as the feel goes, even though I know they are more prone to be damaged/worn out.

So another question to add to my previous post, do ALL of the 75-300 lenses feel fragile and cheap, or do the more expensive ones feel more solid? I use a 2500 dollar zoom with a Nikon D1 at school and it feels like a rock... possibly a bit heavy, but it is really really solid.

Oh well

Input would be nice
shoelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:54 PM   #3

I'm afraid, it's true like everyone has already said: optical quality is proportional with price: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

At least this one is all hefty metal!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 1:12 PM   #4

That canon lens is considered "sub-average" optically by most of the web sources I have. And it's slow focusing (very slow.) But the question is if that is good enough for you right now? The only way to answer that is to try it out (if that is possible. Good stores will let you put it on your body and take a few pictures in the store. Other will let you rent it and part of the cost goes towards buying it.)

Sigma makes a 70-300 which is a bit better optically ("average") but is also slow focusing. It's $209, though.

When you are that cost constrained, it's difficult.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote