Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 7, 2004, 5:02 PM   #1

Default Thinking of buying this lens

Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying the canon ef70-200 f/4L USM lens. I can get it for about 550 brand new at a local photo store that's having a sale. Do think it's a good lens for action shots? I like the fact that it's an L series lens + telephoto and price isn't to bad either. Only thing holding me back is the F4.
recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2004, 6:12 PM   #2

I was looking at a couple of different Sigma's. I went with the 200 and got the 1.4x & 2.0x TC as well. Total came to $970. Not bad for basically 3 lenses. That's an f2.8. Check out the link below. Some of the other people provided some insight. Might be another option for you, though it's more expensive.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=19344
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 7:50 PM   #3

The 70-200L zoom lenses (F4, F2.8 and F2.8 IS) are the best zoom lenses Canon makes. You cannot go wrong with these. They occupy the top three spots at www.photozone.de. Check it out.

As for action shots, what are you shooting? Outdoors or indoors? Only if you're doing serious indoor work a F2.8 would be good to have. Otherwise a F4 lens should be just fine.

Are you going to use a monopod or tripod, or hand-held? The F4 lens will be lighter than a F2.8 lens. Thus better handholdability also.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote