Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 22, 2011, 9:55 AM   #1
Default Torn bewteen Tammy 17-50 f2.8 and new Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 (sigh)

Narrowed down to these two.
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR LD (IF)
non -VC (better IQ than its VC successor), good IQ, some issues, albeit minor at wide angle. AF is what it is, well documented ad nauseum, a bit iffy for keepers in low light, hunts a tad, buzzy and a bit noticeable. No biggie. Build quality is sufficient. Probably a consenseus that this is the agreed upon go to upgrade lens, getting near Canon 17-55 IQ at a fraction. 6 yr warranty is a plus, copy to copy quality control is a caveat.

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
reviews seem to be favorable. HSM, OS and the markedly superior AF, both in functionality and noise are the separators from the Tammy. Build quality higher (still no FTM), I would love to hear from anyone who has put this lens through its paces, is it a worthy replacement candidate alongside the Tammy 17-50 f/2.8 and Canon 17-55?

I wouldnt even consider the Tammy VC version, my quandary is whether the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 warrants the extra $$ over the non VC tammy. HSM, OS, better lowligfht AF, build quality. I guess the decision is the ultimate buyers, what to you value? I know I occasionally understand the value of IS/OS/VC, even at these short FL's, its nice to have

Anyone had experience with both that could steer me? I have a T2i, an 85mm f1.8 and the Canon EF 70-300mm IS USM
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 SD
Nikon 16-85 VR II
Nikon 85mm f/1.8 D
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 G
Tamron 70-300 VC
rrwilliams64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:29 PM   #2

the kit lens is actually quite good, the 18-55mm IS made in japan
but i looks like you are looking for a f2.8 or a fast lens
what is your budget
the canon 16-35 is really good
the 17-55 is also very good\the 17-85 is an efs lens so you cannot full=frame it
tokina makes a 16.5 to 125/135 lens non IS
better to take your camera to a store ans test drive
good luck
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:17 AM   #3

Have had both the Tammy 17-50 OS and the Sigma 17-50 OS versions and found the Sigma way ahead of the Tammy. the Sigma was faster to focus and IMO much sharper.
Comments always welcome.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote