Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:00 PM   #1
Default Second Lens: Prime Vs Zoom

Hello, I have a Canon 30d that I got with a 28-80mm lens and an extra flash. I am soon going to be getting a second lens on a super tight budget so i am torn between the Canon 50mm f1.8 or the Tamron 70-300 which are roughly the same in price I like to do a lot of Walk-around shooting and night photography but I do all that on a tripod with long exposures but having a 1.8 seems pretty cool. Your Opinions?
Poorphotostudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:43 PM   #2

the tamron 70-300 not the vc usd one is not that sharp, it is very soft when zoomed out. It is not even as good as the canon 55-250 by a good margin.

The 50 1.8 makes a good night time lens.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:44 AM   #3

The 50mm f1.8 is a decent lens, considered quite the bargain for price/performance. I have it and like it - I shot some reception dance photos at a wedding and was able to get a few usable shots (motion blur issues from shutter speed) , hand-held, iso 3200, in a dimly lit room. I was surprised I got anything out of that.

A similarly priced -anything else- will be a disappointment.

Except for the 18-55mm IS. You might do better to replace your 28-80mm with the new kit lens, the 18-55mm IS. The non-IS version is to be avoided, but the newer IS version is rather good, and affordable. The 28-80mm is not well-respected: http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...duct/60/cat/11
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 2:55 AM   #4

Since you're on a tight budget, I suggest you consider the used market for lenses. For instance, Adorama has a Demo version of the Canon 55-250 that Shoturtle mentioned for $185. And while shoturtle is correct that the Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro isn't very good at the long end, for what it does and and how much it costs, it's definitly a good value. And if you don't need the 200-300mm range or the macro, the Tamron 55-200 Di-II LD is the same price and is better.

But for what you want to do, of the two you mentioned, you might be better served by the 50/1.8. But you might also consider the Canon 18-55 IS lens or the Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 OS HSM which is as good or better, and slightly faster.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote