Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:14 AM   #1
Default canon 70-200mm f2.8 non IS vs SIGMA APO DG ZOOM 70-200MM F/2.8 EX MACRO HSM

I'm still trying to zero in on a used sports lens for my son and his 60D. I use a canon 70-200 f2.8 non IS on a 7D.

How do you guys think the used SIGMA APO DG ZOOM 70-200MM F/2.8 EX MACRO HSM stacks up against the canon.

I don't know much about macro photography so I can't judge the impact (positive or negative) of the macro capability of the sigma on things like fast auto focus and low light performance.

The used sigma is about $700 and I'm not sure what a used canon goes for but suspect it is probably $100 more.

coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:22 AM   #2

I used a non macro sigma for years and now use a canon like yours. The sigma was about 90% of the canon. Here's the problem - I believe sigma's quality control slipped over a several year. There seemed to be more quality variance from unit to unit vs. 5 years ago. Just seems to be the case. When buying new you can exchange a 'bad copy' - you can't do that when buying used. Given the need to be shooting at f2.8 so much, I might be a bit concerned with a sigma having front/back focus issues. Not much of a problem if the camera has micro-focus adjust but if the camera doesn't I might hesitate.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:13 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.

I've heard the term micro-focus adjust but don't know what it is. It sounds like something I should be familiar with. Could you please give me a simple explanation. I have a canon 7D and my son has a canon 60D.

coachjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:55 AM   #4

Not sure about the 60D (although it may have it as well) but the 7D does have it as did the 50D. In the 7D manual you can find info on Page 211 plus there are lots of posts on the net about it.

From the 7d manual attached...
Attached Images
Canon 7D
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Like John, I used to use a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, I had a really old version when using Konica Minolta gear which was a great lens, then when moving to Canon got the HSM Macro, even after changing once and then the 2nd going away it still was never as good as the old version. If you need to work at f2.8 and 200mm a lot then this really wouldn't be a lens I would choose. Go for a 2nd hand Canon any day of the week.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote