Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Default Picking a new 50mm prime

I currently have a T3i with Canon's 50mm F/1.8 lens. My sister just picked up a new camera and I figured it would be a nice gesture to let her have my old prime to start out with. That being said, it looks like I'll be needing an upgrade. The new lens is going to be a 1.4 and it's down to the Canon or the Sigma. I know about the Canon's autofocus track record so am a little worried about that. Any thoughts, preferences, pros, or cons?
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:54 PM   #2

I'm not familiar with the sigma 1.4 although I know its a good lens. I have the Canon 1.4 and simply loooove it. I also have the 1.8 which I thought was decent...and will keep as my Dad purchased it for me as a gift so for sentimental reasons, it'll never be sold. That being said, the 50 1.4 stays on my camera most of the time.

If the local camera store has both, try them both on your camera then make the choice. When I was purchasing they didn't have the sigma in stock and I didn't want to wait.
Olympus E-PL5 45mm 1.8, 60mm macro and Panny 25mm 1.4

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:16 PM   #3

According to SLRGear.com, the Canon has slightly less vignetting, but the Sigma is sharper, especially at the edges, until you stop down to about f/2.8.

PhotoZone.de agrees.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:01 AM   #4

Hi looking at local prices the canon is the cheaper option. In local reviews both come out well although the sigma is heavy. I would look at trying both out if possible
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:05 AM   #5

A direct comparison....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Although not a good one as the Sigma he is using is front focusing, that's what's giving the softness, not the lens

I would ensure if you get one (either) that it is spot on when focusing on your T3i, if it is even slightly off you will really notice it. Mine (Sigma) is a little front focused so have to dial in some micro adjustment and it's great.

Here is an unedited sample at f1.4, first is the full shot and then a 100% crop.

I went for the Sigma over the Canon due to the better performance wide open, no other reason.
Attached Images
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:02 PM   #7
Default 50mm Lens choice

I have owned the Sigma 50mm as well as many Canon L lenses. The Sigma was an excellent lens and would buy another without thinking twice. Very sharp and produced excellent results consistently. A little more money then the Canon and a little heavier but no regrets. Also felt better built then the Canon lens. I would highly recommend the Sigma.....
Doug Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:44 PM   #8

I have the ef 50 1.4 and have not had any issues with the AF. It is softer then then the sig wide open. But it gets better then the sig when stop down. If you are using it at 1.4 to 2.4 all the time the sig has the edge. If you shoot out doors with them you will have to stop down to prevent over exposures. So it flips the other way.

The canon does AF faster then the sig.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:38 AM   #9

Found a Canon 50mm f1.4 lens under the Christmas tree this year, what a surprise. So far I'm thrilled with the lens, fast, sharp, light and great in low light.
Comments always welcome.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:37 PM   #10

I would go for the Canon.
Phil Wright
My Flickr

Canon EOS 550D ~ 18-55mm IS ~ 55-250mm IS ~ 430EXII
05mpwright is offline   Reply With Quote