Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:33 AM   #1
Default New lenses probably 24-70 L or 50mm or something else - need advice

Hello everyone,

I just bough a new Canon 60D and got 2 lenses with it
EF-S 18-55mm IS (came with the camera)
18-200 IS (bough it)

I am thinking on buying more lenses specially thinking on low light scenaries like parties, holiday portraits with nice background and landscaping.
(looking to buy if necesary 1-3 more lenses)

I am conciderng the following lenses (but open to suggestions):

I was thinking on buying the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L but then i also read that the sigma performs just almost as good as the canon. so probably for the price tag i would concider the stigma as i am not a profecional and a MINIMAL difference will not get in my nevers.

and then i was also thinking on the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM for nice portraits and parties when the ligh is low and will allow me not to use a flash, giving a more natural look.
also another question, what the difference between the 50mm f/1.4 and the 1.8?????????????

Now my question is more about if is worth to spend the money in those 2 lenses given the lenses that i already have or concider other lenses for my requirements?

i am looking to buy,if necesary , 1-3 more lenses to give me AMAZING IQ when needed. since i know that what i have now is a pretty standar kit

Specially i think i want a great lens for house parties that the light is low.
and then another lense that is great to get those amazing holiday pics.

i want high IQ

what you guys think?

thurft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:39 AM   #2

For parties, you have to be careful. My advice is to get a good external bounce-able flash. There are a couple reasons:
1) you may find that light levels just aren't enough at f2.8 to freeze subject motion
2) shooting at wide apertures you may find you don't have enough DOF to get multiple people in focus and for party shots you often want multiple people in focus.

In good lighting situations, wide apertures are great. And when your subjects are pretty still, they're great in low light. But for parties a bounced flash will give you much better results in more scenarios.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:41 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's.

It's a difficult scenario for sure, as there are lots of options and we are all different.

With a crop camera (like the 60D) I would be looking at the 17-55mm IS if you want f2.8, it's much sharper than the 24-70. I've used the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 and wouldn't want to do so again (I had 2 copies). I do have Sigma glass still used professionally so it's not a Canon v Sigma thing, it is all about usable results.

That lens and a good flash will be a great combo.

If you want a low light lens you need to know the focal length that works for you so something like the Sigma 30mm f1.4 is a great option if you want a bit wider than the Canon 50mm f1.4. As John says though you can't always shoot with them wide open so lose their value.

Honestly thought, I would just get out and shoot rather than worrying about kit. Many people fall into the same boat as you trying to get lots of gear but never really learning what it can do. If you still can get your money back I would get rid of the 18-200 as that's not a great lens and put the money towards a 70-200mm f4 L, which is stunning and works well as a combo with your kit lens.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The problem is that we (and you) don't have any idea what kind of photographer you are now or indeed will be in a year's time.

Don't worry too much about extra lenses for now, get out there and learn to make great images with what you've got. Set yourself a limit of 6 months or 10,000 photos, whichever comes last before you get your next lens.

Until that time work hard on becoming a better photographer.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:51 AM   #5

Hi and welcome I think I would try and do a trade with 18-200 and get an external flash. The 18-55 isnt a bad lens and the flash will improve your low light and indoor work and if you use it bounced it will reduce the harsh light. You have got a nice camera and to get the best out of it you will need extra lenses, but for now take lots of pics and then see what you need. You also have a choice of third party lenses like sigma and tamron so you are not stuck with canon. Good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:13 PM   #6

get some accessories .
a metz flash.
a good tripod.
a remote trigger.
stuff like that.
or a wide angle lens for outdoor scenic shots.
good luck.
and practice till you find what you like.
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote