Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:47 PM   #1
Default Lens Help?

I am stuck on what lens/lenses to buy. Currently, I have a Canon T3 and am going to be shooting indoor basketball. I have done a ton of research on this. My choices are, but not limited to:
  • Sigma 70-200mm 2.8
  • Tamron 70-200mm 2.8
  • Canon 85mm 1.8
  • Any other

My budget is less than one thousand ($1,000).
mrcowdude20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:30 PM   #2

Adorama has the Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS HSM listed for $1,399, so it's outside your price range.

It has the Tamron 70-200/2.8 for $769 and the Canon 85/1.8 for $389.

The Tamron 70-200 isn't very quick to focus, and it's f/2.8 maximum aperture will probably require you to shot at ISO 3200-6400 in order to get shutter speeds that are fast enough to capture the action without a lot of motion blur. The Canon 85 is a USM lens, so it's probably faster to focus, and the extra stop of the maximum aperture means you can use lower ISOs, resulting in less image noise. But framing with the prime will be less flexible than the zoom.

As it happens, the Sigma 70-200/2.8 is available for rent at LensRentals.com, if you're interested.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote