Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:40 AM   #1

Default problem with Tamron lens

Hi,
First of all sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum. And sorry if I don't quite speak proper 'photography'

Anyway, when I fully zoom out ( or almost fully) with my 70-300mm Tamron lens ( attached to a canon EOS 500d) it goes funny, takes what sounds like a photo with a very slow shutter speed and then there is a message: 'Err 01: Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts.' And there is no photo.
I have never had this problem before, I have always been able to take fully zoomed out photos.
I have done my best to clean the contacts but it still comes up with the same message. The message only comes up when I zoom out. Is there anything lse I should check? Or do you have an effective but easy way to clean the lens contacts?
Thank you for your help!
stilllearning66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:00 AM   #2
Administrator

You posted this in our Canon Forum in the Point and Shoot section.

We have a separate section for dSLR models with Canon dSLR and Canon Lenses Forums in that section.

This would have been OK in either of those, so I moved it down to our Canon Lenses Forum for you.

Sometimes just removing and remounting a lens can help due to friction from the lens and lens mount contacts rubbing together. You'll find different opinions on cleaning contacts. Personally, I use a drop or two of alcohol on a Cotton Cloth (I use sometimes use an old an old T-shirt) or Q-Tip, depending on the contacts I'm cleaning. But, I also have some electrical contact cleaner designed to clean contacts without leaving any residue.

But, with either approach, you have to be careful you don't damage any of the plastic on the camera or lens. Some others also suggest using a pencil eraser (which I never use).

Is your battery fully charged, and do you have another one you can try with it? Sometimes weak batteries can cause odd problems, and sometimes voltage levels can deteriorate as batteries age.

Does the lens mount on the camera look OK?

Sometimes screws can come loose around a camera's lens mount causing issues with a lens contacts seating correctly, because the area where the lens locks into can move away from the contacts.

You can see worn parts on the lens mount (on the lens side) causing connection issues, too (where it doesn't seat tightly enough to make a good connection). If you're feeling any "play" moving the lens with it mounted, it could be indicative of a worn mount on the lens, or similar problem with the mount on the camera, where the lens and camera contacts are not making a tight enough connection.

BTW, Welcome to Steve's.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:37 AM   #3

Sorry about posting in the wrong section.
My battery is fully charged and unfortunately I don't have another one I can try with.
I think the problem is more likely to be with the lens as I have tried different lenses with the same camera and they all work fine. The screws all seem tight to me and the lens seems to be fixed properly.
When the problem first started, I tried , as you suggested, removing and remounting the lens, although it only fixed it temporarily. Now, It doesn't help at all!

I can see a few worn parts on the lens mount though... Could that be the problem?

I don't really understand why the lens stops working only when I zoom out and not, for example when it's at 100mm.

Thanks for your tips (especially on cleaning lenses!)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:06 PM   #4
Administrator

It could be something as simple as a worn lens mount on the lens, where the lens barrel is extending more or less at different zoom settings, with gravity influencing how good of a connection the contacts are making (since it's probably more "front heavy" at some zoom settings compared to others, depending on the lens design).
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:44 AM   #5

And can anything be done to fix it?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Administrator

If it's the lens (versus the camera mount, battery, etc.), you may be able to send it to Tamron (or the authorized distributor for them in your Region) and have them fix it.

Is it under Warranty? In Europe, the warranty period varies by country from what I can tell. See this page about service, and you'll see a link to Tamron Authorized Distributors in various countries:

http://www.tamron.eu/en/service/prod...e-country.html

You may also want to contact the dealer you got it from:

http://www.tamron.eu/en/service/buyi...ntee-card.html

If it's not under warranty, you may want to ask them what it would take to fix it and see if it's worth it or not since those lenses don't sell for much on the used market (at least not here in the U.S.).
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7

Ok , thanks for your help!
Old May 23, 2012, 1:09 PM   #8

I'm having the very same problem with that Tamron lens and my Canon EOS60D. I've only had the lens for about 6 weeks so I think I'm going to take mine back to the dealer where I purchased it. I'm wondering if it could just be a glitch with this particular lens.... Thanks for your post and the replies. It's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem!
gayle is offline   Reply With Quote