Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:51 PM   #1
Default Confused btwn Canon 24mm f/2.8 & Canon EF35mm f/2

Soon I'm getting Canon 7D & hoping 2 buy with 15-85mm .

Now I want 2 buy a prime lens specially for marriages & similar functions where I need fast lens. I've used 50mm 1.8 with 550D but I felt limitations when I had 2 capture pics frm a near distance.

I came 2 know abt these 2 lenses (24mm & 35 mm) which may help me in this prob. But now I'm confused that for which lens should I go ??

Hoping a guidance.
valentino2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:05 AM   #2
Super Moderator

There is a Canon 28mm f1.8 which I would take over either of the two you mention.

Its advantages are that: it's a bit wider -> about 43mm equivalent, and f1.8, and has better build quality, and has the very fast USM motor.

Also consider the Sigma 30mm f1.4.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:24 PM   #3

I had the 50mm f1.8, and while it could produce good images some times, for me the focus (on both my 350D and even my 7D) was not consistent or accurate enough to keep it.

The advice peripatetic gave above sounds good, particularly regarding what you may be looking for full body portraits in low light (eg wedding dances).

Personally I won't get a anon lens without USM, so I'm waiting for an improved Canon 50mm USM with good focus and sharp wide open.

All the best

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote