Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Default Lens for Time Lapse

Hi folks,

I am planning to shoot a time lapse of the galactic center of the milky way and was wondering which lens I should use.
I have a T2i and I will be renting a lens for this shoot.
I was initially thinking of Canon 10-22 but its max aperture is f/3.5.
Although I have never used a fisheye before, I was looking at sigma 8mm @ f/3.5 or Sigma 4.5mm @ f/2.8.
I wouldn't want to go above 1600 on ISO and no more than 30 sec exposure (to avoid pill shaped stars), therefore I think f/2.8 would be better.
Unfortunately, there aren't many Ultra wide lenses than can go to f/2.8.

Edit: Just found out about Tokina 11-16mm @ f/2.8

Any help will be really appreciated.

Last edited by riteshbafna; Apr 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
riteshbafna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:17 PM   #2

The Tokina,apparently,is quite highly regarded...
When you get round to completing your project, maybe you could post it here at Steve's... please...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 7:34 PM   #3

I bought the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 lens, which I really like. It's sharp, contrasty, has great build quality and was almost half the price of the Canon 10-22mm USM. I have used my Sigma for some time-lapse photos, including night time ones - and really like it. But then again I don't do photos of stars per se.

As I don't need a large aperture, I usually use my Sigma ultrawide zoom lens between wide open and f10. So, for your purposes, yes, the Tokina is regarded as a very good, sharp ultrawide zoom, and particularly useful if you need that f2.8!

I agree with Simon40... please do post your attempts here in Steve's for us to see and comment on.

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 8:30 AM   #4

Question not sure from your description, are you planning to take a long exposure of about 30seconds or a true time-lapse move sequence?
If it is for a time-lapse sequence what are you using as a controller for the t2i?

Anyway if you are interested here is a Time Lapse of the Milky Way by TSO titled "the Mountain" http://vimeo.com/22439234

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.

Last edited by PeterP; May 2, 2012 at 8:42 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts.

Peter: Thanks for sharing that link on vimeo. I am planning to take 30 sec long exposures with a 30 sec interval for about 7-8hrs. So total of approx 450 exposures. At 15fps this should give me a 30 sec movie and at 20fps I should get 22 sec movie.
I have an intervalometer that I will be using.

I have already reserved Tokina 11-16 and will definitely need that f2.8.
Old May 27, 2012, 8:39 PM   #6

I am back from my trip. As it got dark, stars started popping out. However, after a while they started disappearing due to light domes getting bigger. I think it was the increased moisture in the air that was causing the stars to disappear. So, I wasn't able to get the composition I was hoping for, however, I was able to take some exposures. After setting up my camera and taking a few shots, I went to sleep in my tent only to wake up to see that my lens was covered with dew. :-(
I was able to salvage just 175 exposures, rest were rendered useless.

I am attaching 2 pictures here. 1 is the JPEG that I converted from RAW in Lightroom and the other is after PP in CS5. Since, I am not that great with Photoshop yet, I would really like to get your inputs about PP and comments on my work.
Also, I will be more than happy to share the RAW file if anyone would like to try PP in CS5 and come up with a better PP output than what I did.

Click here to go to my album to see before and after pictures

Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:22 AM   #7

Your after shot looks pretty good to me! Very NICE!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote