Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 30, 2004, 8:18 PM   #1
Default 300 4,0 L IS or 400 5,6 L

I'm totally confused...

I've read a hundreds of posts an seen every site (what i found)... but still don't know, what would be good for me, because:

1. everybody says the 400 5,6 is very sharp (i need that) but slow, i have a 70-200 2,8 L IS, so i know how the IS is good. i like to use it to shoot people in the sreets, and animals in the zoos, so i'm afraid the 400 5,6 would be slow for me...

2. many people says the 300 4,0 with IS is not sharp enough, it's fast enough especially with the IS, but i don't wanna spend a lot of money for something, that just "almost good", because i have a 10 d, and as everybody knows the AF is not the best on it, but if i use a prime, it's usually better, but i need the best, maybe then i don't have to delete 50% of my pictures because of the AF..

3. unfortunately i have not found much full size pictures on the web about what these lenses can do really, who put some ones what looked good, those were 800x600 or less, who put bigger, those were blurred sometimes, and without enough exif data, i don't know too much. i checked the photobase too, but i'm not sure still

does anybody know about these two lenses something closer, maybe have some full sized pics who used both of them...

any comments would welcome, thanks

dupla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2004, 3:07 PM   #2

The 300L F.4 IS is sometimes judged to be a tad less sharp than its non IS brother. Others claim that is not the case. But don't forget that it is a prime, and one very good prime. I bet it is sharper than the 70-200 (I have one too).

Personally, once I have the money I'm going to get the 300L F4 IS. I already have a 1.4x TC, which will turn it into a 420L F5.6 IS if you will. Did you see this thread? http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=19164

Good luck with your choice!

barthold is offline   Reply With Quote