Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:36 AM   #1
Default Canon pancake 40mm advantages over existing Sigma 30mm?

I'm planning ahead for a trip to St. Petersburg, Russia later this summer. I expect to be shooting lots of great architecture, inside and out. I use a T1i and currently have a Sigma 17-70mm (f2.8-4.0) and a Sigma 30mm f1.4, plus a Canon 70-300 that might stay home. Other than size and weight, what advantages might I expect from the new Canon pancake 40mm lens over my Sigma 30mm, bearing in mind the crop sensor of the T1i? The price is low enough to consider. Are there any other options I should look at? I do also have a Canon Speedlite 430 EX II in case that factors in.
requa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:58 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hmm, I think the new pancake 40 is more of a "normal" FF lens. If you fancy a 40mm equivalent then how about one of the 24mm lenses? Canon do a 24mm f2.8 or a 28mm f1.8 both take you pretty close to 40mm. I absolutely love the 28 f1.8 on a crop body!

I personally wouldn't use the new 40 on a crop body. But I will very likely be getting one for my 5D2.
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:13 PM   #3

While I agree that it is closer to the "normal" focal length on a full frame, Canon clearly expects it to be paired to a crop more than a FF. It's optimized to work in harmony with the new video autofocus on the new T4i so that must say something.

If you are happy with the IQ of your 17-70, then I can't see how aside from the physical dimensions how it can be of a great improvement. Now taking in the size/weight, it is a huge improvement! It practically hides on my 7D and the size of the visible glass is much less intimidating to your subject compared to other lenses.

Peripatetic - all that aside, I can't wait to try it out on my 5D this weekend
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote