Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:01 PM   #1
Default Upgrading T2i stock lens, Iceland

Hi guys, been narrowing down my choices from the many threads here and have just a few questions left before I commit.

I have the stock lens with the T2i and have had some great shots with them in Iceland, but want to get something more substantial.

I have almost decided on the EF 70-200mm f/4l USM Lens, but have a few Icelandic specific issues I need advice on.

Firstly most of my photography in the summer is landscape, outdoors nature stuff. There is almost no darkness for 3 months in the summer, but this creates a problem for the winter, almost no sun.

I'm weary of the f/4 on this lens, in the dark winters what are my nothern lights and starry nights going to look like on this lens, my guess is not ideal at all.

Is it better for me to consider a lens with less zoom and not an L series like the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and then purchase a good f/2 or lower wide angle lens as well instead of 1 solid L lens?

Sorry for the basic questions, still trying to work my way from being a novice to a more learned user

Heres a few pics snapped a couple weeks back to give you an idea of what kind of shots I'm mostly interested in:

Thor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:40 PM   #2

If you'll be shooting in low light (during the winter) you might want to consider a stabilized lens, so you can avoid motion blur due to camera shake. I'd also look at getting a large aperture (f/2.8 or, at the least, f/4) so as to not tempt fate.

There's no EXIF data for your sample photos, so I can't tell what exposure settings you used.

An f/4 lens should work fine for starry nights and northern lights, since the light source is direct. That is, the light source is what you're photographing, so it's reasonable to stop down anyway. If the focal length is ok, and you'll be using a tripod anyway, the 70-200/4.0 should be good, but if you want to shoot handheld, I'd look at a stabilized vertsion.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:02 PM   #3

Hi Thor25

There are 3 things that are important in low light:
- a fast lens
- a stabilised lens (can help)
- a tripod (best for super low light)

I've seen some amazing photos from Iceland (there used to be a person on Steve's forum some years ago from Iceland who shared wonderful shots of the northern lights). You really need a tripod for that though.

If I were you, I would consider the 70-200mm f/4 L USM IS (which is sharper and has the benefit of IS) - if you can afford it... or (even better still) the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS (which retains almost the same aperture as the constant f/4 till 200mmm - and has the extra 100mm reach).

For stars, you often want a wide (or UWA) lens, on a tripod. The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 might be a good option for you.

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:14 AM   #4

hi i have just got a 70-200l is f4 i went to a shop and tried out the f2.8 a sigma again f2.8. my conclusion was that for my use i could get away with the much lighter f4 with IS. so i would go and try them before making a final decision.
the f4 is a great lens and has really spoiled me
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote