Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Default Canon T2i | Landscape Photography | Replace kit lens...

Hello All:

I have a Canon T2i w the 18-55 IS kit lens. I take landscape photographs primarily. I find the sharpness of the kit lens frustrating- sometimes it is excellent but other times very soft. I'd like to add another lens, and am looking for suggestions. I've considered the Tamron 17-50 (non IS) and the Canon 15-85. My concerns are quality with Tamron and the weight of the Canon.

My budget is approx. $600.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
FWSchreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:24 PM   #2

The non-IS Tamron is very good. Though I have seen a few complaints about build quality, that was mostly from people that used the heck out of it for years. If you're up for it, the Canon 17-55/2.8 is also very good, and it's stabilized. You can rent it at LensRentals.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:44 PM   #3

For landscapes look at 10-20 sigma does a f3.5 Constant aperture
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:32 PM   #4

I'd go for the 15-85mm if I were you. I really appreciate: the image quality (it's a good step up from the kit lens, especially wide open), zoom range (the difference between 15 and 18mm is significant). Also the 15-85's build quality, USM focus AND 4-stop IS are real bonuses!

I've got a friend who has the Tamron, but isn't happy with the quality in the corners (I believe he has the non-VC version too). For me that type of zoom range is limiting.

About the Sigma ultrawides, I have the Sigma 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6. It's a great lens (sharp corner to corner). It has a bit of an AF issue at some settings, but I overcome that by using MF. I've heard many good things about all Sigma ultrawide lenses (ie the one I have, as well as the 10-20mm f/3.5 and the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6).

However there can be some QC issues with some copies (ie soft on 1 side, or major AF issues). There is a substantial difference when going down to 10mm (or even more 8mm) from either 18mm (or even 15mm). It does take some getting used to, for best composition, etc.

So I'm definitely very pleased with the 15-85mm, both for most landscapes (15mm = 24mm in 35mm format) - and for a variety of other photos. The weight difference between the Canon 15-85mm (575g) vs the Tamron 17-50mm (440gr) is not that much - only 135grams). Best wishes for your decision.. and hope you can find a copy of a good lens for your $600 budget. Happy photography!

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:01 PM   #5

I just got the Canon 15-85 three days ago and I couldn't be happier. Well built, super quiet, full time manual and great image quality. I have the T2i as well.
Canon 70D

EFS 15-85
EF 100-400 L IS ll

HavToNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:34 AM   #6

For landscape (or architecture) TS-e lenses like the Canon TS-e 17 or TS-e 24.
They are very expensive and you have to learn how to use a completely manual tilt/shift perspective control lens but can't be beat for what they are designed for.

If you are after a normal zoom then the ones that have already mentioned are good.

Though I prefer the standard EF 17-40 f/4L or EF 16-35 f/2.8L
As I use both full frame and crop sensor bodies so have little use for lenses that cannot fit on all the bodies. The ef-s lens type ties you into the crop format bodies, if you ever plan to upgrade to full frame you would need to re buy all your lenses.

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.

Last edited by PeterP; Sep 12, 2012 at 9:37 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote