Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:56 PM   #1
Default Canon 65mm mp-e

I've used the 100mm macro lens for years, but now want to be able to shoot with a magnification more than 1:1. I know the 65mm mp-e has also been around for years (10 maybe). Do you know if there is any updated model in the works (i.e. IS, AF, etc.)? I'd hate to buy such an expensive lens only to have a better one come out 6 months later... Or is there any other alternative lens or technique that could exceed the 100mm macros capabilities without being too unhandy? Thanks in advance!
stacenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:57 AM   #2

Mp-e is all manual, at those magnifications and the associated shallow depth of field a tripod is mandatory so no need for IS and af is pointless.

Same with the TS-e line they are all very specialized fully manual lenses.
Some of the TS-e lenses were recently updated to the ts-e II's with new glass elements, some housing changes and a nice almost doubling in price.

If the mp-e is updated I suspect it will be similar with new glass elements and a big increased in price that seems to be associated with the latest round of updates.

You could try using extension tubes on the 100mm macro, that would get you closer.
An old technique I used to use was a a normal 50mm lens mounted backwards with a reversing ring, not sure you can even do that with modern cameras anymore though.

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.

Last edited by PeterP; Sep 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote