Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:09 AM   #1
Default Lens Damage

I'm based in France and recently received delivery of an expensive Canon video camera brain and compatible Canon wide angle cine lens. The weather here was very cold the week it was delivered and the lens was extremely low in temperature when it was unboxed. Within minutes of being in the warmer environment of my home, water appeared on the external focusing band and the lens glass was fogging up.

Later I placed it in a sealed plastic bag. That's what the enclosed Canon manual suggested when I found the right section. However, the manual suggested doing this immediately or before entering the warmer environment, so I assume my delayed effort didn't help much. Anyway, there is certainly no sign of this condensation any more and both the camera and lens are shooting fine with no fogging or damage visible to the naked eye.

I would be interested to know if you folks think damage could possibly have occurred? I guess the lens had to travel to the local dealer from another country so actually this kind of change from cold to warm environment may have happened before over the past week since it left Canon's own couriers and started being transported by others. It may even be a reality of deliveries of lenses in general! Am I safe assuming the glass would be engineered in such a way that accounts for a certain amount of such condensation and the creation of pure water inside the device when environments warm up - and should I not worry about failing to prevent it on this one occasion? I'm not really looking for advice on whose fault this is or how to deal with the supplier as that has been taken care of - just looking for technical advice on whether damage might have really taken place…

Thanks in advance!
pieergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:28 PM   #2

You may want to call Canon on this to see if they will honor the warranty.
Canon 5D MKII, EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Tamron 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD, Sigma DG 150-500mm f/5.-6.3 APO HSM.
Canon EOS T3i, 7D and 70D EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM, 430 EXII Flash.
Sony A200, SLT-A58 System with HVL-F42AM Flash.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:56 PM   #3

G'day pg

Over the years of SLR photography I have had many occasions where a substantial temperature change has occurred causing humid-fogging of the lens to occur

In my case I found that leaving the lens in a warm room [not necessarily direct/hot sun] for 1/2-hour soon removed all traces of the humidity. Humidity issues are with us all the time as the various components of a lens have air gaps between them - the focus / zoom rings must have some microscopic spaces between each metal part in order to focus / zoom

If you were living in the tropics where humidity is a very constant issue, you would need to take other precautions to avoid problems with fungus, but if this is not the case, I would not expect you to find any long term problems

Back in film days, Kodak recommended storage of film in the freezer along with a 2-hour defrosting-before-use time ~ so they were well aware of humidity issues inside the film cassette

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote