Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:47 AM   #1
Default Portrait Lens?! Canon 70-200, 24-70

I am generally new to the world of photography, starting my own business and specializing in senior portraits and family portraits. I'm currently shooting with a canon rebel, and looking to upgrade to a better lens. I realize the 70-200 mm would be amazing for portraits, but would be really difficult to use for my families. I have been looking at the canon 24-70 mm but am having a really difficult time weighing what I need. I don't want the full frame of a 24-70 to really show on my senior portraits. Can anyone help?!
KarleePhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:39 PM   #2

G'day KP

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "I don't want the full frame of a 24-70 to really show" ...

I would suspect that in a 'closed' environment like a studio or a school foyer, that you would need the capabilities of a good zoom covering this range.

I wonder - if this lens is designed for full-frame cameras and you are using the APS sensor camera, then the crop-factor comes into play and the 24-70 behaves like a 35-105. This to me covers the 'perfect' lens range for portraits ~ 80 to 105 for passport-style images and 50-80 for groups of 2 or 3 people

Does this help at all?
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 2:09 AM   #3

A long prime is always better for portraits. Better as in relatively better. If using a back drop and a studio like set up any lens you have is more than sufficient for the light is going to be manipulated in such a set up.

If you are looking at candid portraits in a gathering with available light look at the Tamron 24-70 or the sigma 35mm f1.4 or even the canon or sigma macro lenses.

70-200 is a very versatile lens and there are quite a few options in Canon as well as others outside canon.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:37 PM   #4

The 70 -200 is a good lens that lets you get in close without getting close. as for the 24-70 then look at the 1.6 crop factor for that lens you would be better off with something in the range of 17-70 and may be constant f 2.8 another good lens would be a prime 50m f1.4
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:03 PM   #5

Canon 85mm EF F/1.8 is pretty nice portrait lens. Probably get it used in excellent condition for about $275.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote