Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 21, 2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Default What Canon lens should I buy?!?!?

I share a camera with my sister: Canon EOS 550D and we have the 18-55mm that comes with the camera.
I'm kind of getting bored of that lens and would like to egt a new one for my upcoming b-day.
I was thinking of getting one like the 28-200mm (Canon) lens but I saw on some reviews the image quality is no that great.
Is it better to have two lenses (e.g 28-135 and 100-250mm) or having a all in one 28-200 one?
Are there any lenses which you would particularly recommend (The L series I can't afford)?
Do all Canon lenses work on all Canon cameras?

I mostly use my camera for travelling or going around the city taken pictures and I am a amateur hobbyist.
Thanx so much,

crishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2014, 11:30 AM   #2

Generally speaking - you get better quality with more specialized lenses. The more you have a "super zoom" style of lens - like the 18-200 style of lenses the more you sacrifice quality for the sake of convenience. A nice, consumer zoom compliment to the lens you have is the Canon 55-250mm lens. You can get higher quality from fixed focal length (prime) lenses but you lose a lot of flexibility. So you could get for example a 50mm 1.4 But from your post, it seems like you would still benefit from the flexibility the additional zoom would provide.

Now, both your existing lens and the 55-250mm lens are EF-S lenses. That means they were designed for APS-C cameras. They will not work (or not well) on full frame models - 6d, 5d, 1d series of cameras.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014, 3:53 PM   #3

I agree with JohnG that the 55-250 would compliment the 18-55 you've got.

If you'd like to replace it, I'd suggest the Canon 15-85 or the Sigma 17-70.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014, 3:31 AM   #4

The 55-250 is a good lens and scores well in iq stakes
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote