Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:03 PM   #1
Default Wide angle lens that's fast?? Need help!!

I picked up a Canon Rebel T5i last year and I really love it….but I’m ready to step up and get one more lens for it. Currently, I have the 18-55mm STM & 55-250mm STM kit lenses, and also a 50mm f/1.8 (nifty fifty) that I use all the time. I really love the nifty-fifty for portraits, and for shooting in low light conditions……the fast f/1.8 is awesome for low-light conditions. I’m trying to find something with a fast aperture like the nifty-fifty for taking shots in low light conditions, but something that also has the wide angle zoom capability like the 18-55mm STM that I have. When I’m in a small room with lots of people and I’m using the 50mm f/1.8 lens, sometimes I just physically can’t get the shot I want because I can’t get far enough away from the subject to frame it right…..there is either a wall in the way, or people in the way. I like how the 18-55mm lets me get some wide angle shots in small rooms, but it’s pretty slow and not good at all in low light conditions.

Any suggestions for a lens that would give me the fast aperture and “bokeh” of the nifty fifty, but also have zoom and allow me to get some wide angle shots like the 18-55mm? I’m looking for some decent glass, but I don’t need to spend “professional” kinds of money on it…..this is just for playing around with. Any suggestions? I saw that Sigma makes a 18-35mm f/1.8 lens…..is that something I should look at?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:23 AM   #2

In general, zoom lenses have maximum apertures of f/2.8 at most.

There are some exceptions, though. Among them are Sigma's 'APS-C only' 18-35/1.8 and 'Full Frame' 24-35/2.0.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote