Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 14, 2004, 2:51 PM   #1
Default Anyone own canon soft focus lens?

I am wondering what this is like. I'm learning there are several ways to accomplish the same effect in photography. Would adding a filter in photoshop or on the camera be better? I do know of someone who loves this lens & uses it for portraits (my primary purpose). The thing is, it's hard to "try out" a lens like this locally, b/c the company would have to order it. They don't want to order it, if you don't pay for it first. Thanks for any opinions!

amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2004, 1:33 PM   #2

I have never used it but personally I wouldn't spend the money. I have a Tiffen Soft focus filter that works great for me - I use it a lot for females and sometimes couples. Why buy a lens when I can accomplish the same thing with a filter. That's just my opinion anyway. Also, in Photoshop try the Gaussian Blur filter. Try it with different levels of blending. It's not quite the same effect as an actual soft focus filter on the lens, but can be pleasing. I'd say try that, then go to a camera store and try out a couple different soft focus filters and see which effect you like the best. Keep in mind not all filters are made the same. Some make a texture on one side of the glass, some diffuse the light differently, etc. I've even heard of people making their own filters by smearing vaseline over a filter or piece of glass. Or some people do even wackier stuff . . .
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote