Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:22 AM   #11

I'm going to go against the tide and say that I'd rather have option #1.

Both are good options but the two lens option doesn't give you any length in between 40 and 70mm, except the prime. I find that most of my pictures tend to be between 80 to 105mm. So I'd get more use out of the 28-135.

My everyday lens is a Sigma and I find it as good or better as the non-L Canon lenses. I also like the warrantly on the Sigma lenses better too. A one year warranty on the Canon lenses is a bit short IMHO. When I buy my next set of lenses it will be a mix of Canon and Sigma.

It really comes down to what you see as the primary subjects for your photos. If you're going to be doing 'family' shots then the 70-200 might be too long a lens (remember the 1.7 cropping factor makes it a 120-340 lens) and the 17-40 might be too short.

Frankly I'd never get much use out of the 17-40 so it would be a waste for me to buy one. I also have the 18-55EF-S lens for that range.

The 200 f2.8 is a lens that gets great reviews, you could also put some extention on it for macro work as well. A feature that I'd get use out of, you may not.

Consider what your next lens purchase is going to be - can you reuse filters from this set onto the next one? Is the extra weight of three lenses a problem for you?

In summation - buy the lenses you're going to use, then worry about quality issues after. A quality lens you never use is a foolish choice.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 11:06 PM   #12

Good advice from people here. Decide what you are going to use it for first! Set #2 would be my choice. If you don't want the wide angle, consider replacing the 17-40 with a 24-70L (or get both :-)).

barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 9:32 AM   #13

I am using 17-40 f4L. And I am loving it, the image quality is beyond compare. I find the use of focusing dial (even set at AF) of much help when shooting events.

I am now going for 70-200mm f2.8L IS.

I opt for your 2nd option.
billyteoh is offline   Reply With Quote