Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 10, 2016, 1:08 PM   #1
Default Need an all purpose lens

I have a canon 50D. I love my camera. I originally had an18-200 canon lens and used it faithfully. But after about 3 years I bumped it and actually cracked the barrel. They repair place said it had been well loved and used and wasn't worth repairing.
At the time I didn't have an extra 600 for a new one.
I replaced it with a sigma 18-250 it was ok. Not as good but fine for what I needed. Sadly due to a crazy day this lens fell out of my bag and broke. (not due to me)
I need to replace it. I would like a lens with at least 200 reach. Should I go back to the cannon or would the sigma 18-200 be a good choice? I currently have 85 prime 1.8, 8-10 wide agle and a 70-300 (not the kit lens)
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2016, 3:26 PM   #2

Jack-of-all-trades-and-masters-of-one lenses, as a rule, have more vignetting, distortion, field curvature and chromatic aberration, than multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges.

You have the Canon 70-300 which is a very good lens. Why not compliment it with a Canon 15-85 which is also a very good lens? ... or the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0?

If you really need an all-in-one lens, I can't recommend any, but the Canon is probably as good as they get.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; May 10, 2016 at 3:28 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote