Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:12 AM   #1

I seem to get different information from the different people that I have contact with, and it seems everyone has their own opinions and bias on Lenses and companies.

I want to get a macro lens and was set to buy the Canon 50mm macro, but the stores have been trying to convince me to get the Sigma 50mm macro instead. They say that the optics are the same, and the Sigma has newer electronics while the Canon lens has remained the same for many years. The Sigma offers 1:1 while the Canon offers only 2:1.

The other view is that the Canon lenses are better optically and should not be compared directly w/ the Sigma lenses. That Canon's standards of testing and specs are of a higher standard so that the Sigma specs might be misleading.

Should I get the Canon 50mm, the Sigma 50mm? And after that, what would the benefit be of waiting to buy a macro till I can afford the Canon 100mm and will I have trouble comparing that to a competitors 100mm lens.

Thanks in advance for the help... this has been driving me nuts!
IndyVAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2004, 1:50 PM   #2

... BTW with the 1.6x crop it will be an 80mm macro
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote