Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 5, 2004, 5:53 PM   #1

Hi, just wondering what everyone's favorite lense is and why? Thanks
deana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2004, 6:11 PM   #2

Only had the Rebel for about 4 1/2 weeks now. Bought the EF 100-300mm 4.5-5.6 USM for the long range. I chose it because of several reasons. Internal focusing being the prime consideration. I use Coking filters and didn't like how the cheaper 75-300mm lenses moved their outer elements. I figured the cokin system might put some wear and tear on the lens motor, as it turned the whole assembly plus several filters attatched. Another consideration was the ability to manually focus anytime one wants, a feature I use often. The price was good. L glass is super expensive in Canada, and it was very hard to justify the price for a better lens, when with digital, you can do wonders in the post processing phase.

So there you have it, my current favorite, and why I bought it.:-)

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 11:42 PM   #3

Canon's 28-235 IS USM is by far my favorite. The image stabilization has let me take shots that never would have come out withouta tripod. I have no clue how it works, but the extra cash for IS is definitely worth it.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 9:33 AM   #4

Did you mean the 28-135? I didn't see a 28-235, but would buy it in a second.

DJPetron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:42 PM   #5

The Canon 28-135 USM IS is my favorite lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:46 PM   #6

100-400L IS. Just got it on Friday and I am loving it. I wantmore range but then I am stuck with tripod (not to mention the cost).
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 12:22 PM   #7

I am using the 24-70/2.8 L for some weeks and I am very happy with it. Nice contrast, color and sharpness. It has a bit of snob value too.
Now I only need the skill to use it properly.
Jotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:49 PM   #8

I love my Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX. And Canon 50mm f/1.8 to a lesser extent (either have to stop it down to 2.8-3.5 andsmalleror manually focus every shot due to AF problems).
Conquest10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 5:29 PM   #9

My favorite lens is any current Canon offering with an "L" in the name. Not for snob value, but because they are so consistent in sharpness, contrast, saturation, focus speed, build quality, lack of CA issues, etc. Each of mine has a different, specific purpose, and because the needs vary, I cannot name a favorite. My favorite non-L lens, is the 100mm Macro. Based on the results, it should be at least an honorary L lens. Here is a crop from about a 10% area of the entire image using the 100mm Macro. It works great as a regular telephoto also! Sharp!

Ward Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 8:56 PM   #10

I have a Tamron 28-70 f/2.8 Di, a Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, and a Canon 400mm f/5.6 L lens. They're all my favorites for the job intended. My everyday lens is the Tamron which is sharp and covers the range of most indoor and outdoor shots. The macro is great for closeup shots--tack sharp. The 70-200 IS is another very sharp lens with the added bonus of the IS feature. The 400mm is my newest lens for wildlife shooting.

I am considering my options for a viable wider angle lens which will probably be the Canon 17-40L, but I'm also considering the Tamron 17-35 Di...another possible choice is the Sigma 12-24. I like the Canon for the L reliabilty, but the Tamron is considerable less expensive yet based on my other Di lens produces VERY good results. The wider angle of the Sigma makes it enticing, but I'm a bit concerned over the quality of the images and am investigating that.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote