Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 30, 2004, 2:47 PM   #1

I will be visiting New York in November. Canon lenses are much cheaper in the US than at home in the UK so I am planning to take advantage although have not decided what to purchase yet. Please can anyone advise me of good retailers in New York. Also anyretailersto avoid? Is there anything I should be aware of about purchasing EOS lenses abroad - potential problems?

Ive found the B&H site and notice they sell US Canon lenses and Imported versions. Whats the difference except a small price drop for imported?

Many thanks in anticipation of any tips people can give me
Dinmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2004, 4:28 PM   #2

imported = no warranty in the US. B&H is a very reputable retailer. Give them a visit for sure.
imaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 1:11 AM   #3

New York has a comparatively high sales tax rate, so if your travel agenda includes any other state, be sure to search out camera stores in that state too (however it's still no where near the 17.5% VAT - or is it higher?).

B&H, Adorama, 17th Street Photo, also the J&R store downtown is massive. All reputable Manhattan based stores.

Avoid Brooklyn stores like the plague.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:24 AM   #4

From what I understand, B&H is just an amazing place to visit if you're a photography nut or into audio/video stuff. Thier store covers an ENTIRE CITY BLOCK!

They are a great store, I've heard nothing but good things about them. I would not hesitiate to purchase from them.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 8:04 AM   #5

New York is definitely not an inexpensive place to visit, but I don't think any state in the US has a sales tax approaching the 17.5% VAT, not to mention the fact that prices are cheaper to begin with. Of course, nothing beats getting to order either online or over the phone with B&HfromTexas and not having to pay any sales tax at all!

B&H and Adorama seem to be two of the best in New York. I've had nothing but good luck with both.

Regarding any problems, you will be able to purchase items with either a US or International (grey) warranty, so I'm not sure which, if either,will do you better when you get home if you need service work done in-warranty.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote