Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 3, 2004, 6:26 PM   #1

I've recently moved up to a digital SLR after using a Sony F717. I have some Canon lenses left over from my Elan IIe but I want to move up to some good fast glass. I'm considering the following:
16-35mm f/2.8
70-200mm f/2.8 IS
I'm really concerned about the latter of these two for it's bulk and weight and I'd like to lay hands on it if possible. The camera shops in my area don't stock L glass and I'm several hours away from any that do. How exactly do you audition lenses if you can't do it locally? It appears that I'll have to buy and try via mailorder? Nothing like trying out in your own backyard I guess. Just wondering what's the norm for those of us not graced with local options.

_Steph_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2

First off, those are very good lenses. You are stepping up to basically the best there is for that camera. Expensive, but you won't be let down.

Unfortunately you are in a serious bind. The few things that came to mind are:
1) mail order from a reputable place with no-hassle return and very little restocking fee (www.bhphoto.com is where I'd check first.) Not great, as it will cost you extra in shipping and restocking but it would fit the bill.

2) Find a camera club in the area. See if someone there has one of those lenses who would let you see them.

I hope that helps! Not the best ideas, but it's a start.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:10 PM   #3

Steph, If you're near Medford there is a camera club meeting tonight 10/4 at 7:00 with several digital cam photographers. I have the 17-40L and the 70-200 2.8L IS.

The meeting place is Horton Plaza 1122 Spring St, Medford

You can contact me a charsch@charter.net if you'd like

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote