Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:46 AM   #1

Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 200-400mm f/5.6 LD Autofocus lens.

Is this lens going to be fast enough to do night time sports photography with my Canon 10d?

Any input would be appreciated.
mickronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 9:41 AM   #2

My guess would be NO.

I use a Sigma 50-500 f5/6 for sports and it struggles in poor light.
I dont know what the 10d is like for higher iso and noise but my 300d is'nt to good at 800 or above.
Poor lighting and lack of contrast leads to excessive 'hunting' by AF, so missing shots becomes inevitable.

This shot below was taken on a typical overcast uk Autumn swell. I know its not artificial lighting and may not be the kinda sport that you may be shooting but i thought i would show it anyway.
It was taken straight out of the can not post editing at all. (Apart from the border)
Canon 300d
ISO 800

Best thing about digital is the freedom to make mistakes and learn from them. Just give it a go yourself.
Good luck
Attached Images
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 7:35 AM   #3

No, it is just not fast enough. I would guess you are planing to shoot a high school level or similar. Well, when I shoot that type of stuff for yearbooks, the lighting is horrible. I am usually about 1250or 1600 iso, 250 2.8. In some stadiums it is even worse. You should use flash, but even then the AF is going to hunt big time. Also at 5.6 and flashing, you are asking a lot from the flash, you will not get great distance from it, and will burn through the batteries.

Dervical is offline   Reply With Quote