Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 14, 2004, 2:26 PM   #1

My son has a Canol DRebel with the "standard" 18-55 lens. He hinted about asking "Santa" (me) for a longer lens, much like the 28-200 he had for his SLR. Looking online, I don't seem to find one like that, plus, I find it difficult to tell which of the other brands (Sigma, Tamaron, Quantary) are compatible with the Digital Canon, as opposed to the regular SLR's? Any recomendations?

fbutera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2004, 9:29 AM   #2

Hmm no one replies here ?

I have only recently dabbled back into photography and use the Digital rebel or UK version. I have a couple of sigma lenses that seem to give great pictures on my cam. Have a look here:

Dont forget the 1.6X factor of the lenses listed, ie the 100-300 becomes a 160 - 480.

i would reccommend after you have selected what lense make / model to go for to do a google search for reviews on them. Some lenses both canon and third party can give soft images, also for example sigma have updated the spec on a couple of ranges and what was once given a so so review now seems to get a much better outcome.

The lenses i have so far

Kit lens 18-55 Canon
Sigma 55-200 Digital (Much sharper than the kit lens)
Sigma 70-300 APO Mk2

All three give good image captures but ones where the sigma 's have been used seem a bit sharper. I dare say if you used canons EX series they would be sharper even more.

Hope this helps a little

Ask him what hes going to be using it for also. Might guide you to a different lens altogether

Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:14 PM   #3

That's a very broad question, so here's a very general answer since we don't know any of his shooting preferences. Go to keh.com'sused equipment section. Click on Canon zooms. Look for an excellent plus (or above) Canon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM II. This is a reasonably good lens that will mate with DReb's crop to be about a 45-168mm. You might also consider at a bit more money the Canon 28-135mm which has more reach. Either lens will balance well against the 18-55mm.
MCTuomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 9:38 AM   #4

Just so I have it straight: any lens that I find that is compatible with the DRebel - to "convert" the focal length into what we are used to from 35mm SLR, you multiply by 1.6? Is that true even for the fixed lens digital cameras?

fbutera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:09 AM   #5

No that is a different case entirely.

On the "fixed" lens cameras (AKA P&S) you will see the lens size then a statement regarding "35mm equivelent" That is your actual lens range.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:11 PM   #6

Too add something to the above info, I would not consider using any third party lenses other than Sigma. I generally prefer Canon, but Sigma does make some good lenses.

Without knowing what your son shoots, it is very difficult to suggest a lens. Without knowing how much you are willing to spend, it is also difficult.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote