Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:09 PM   #11

hey becky...

i hope you didn't think i was telling you not to buy good lenses lol

i just wanted to make sure you knew that technique, overall will be the major factor in the quality of your photos

i have heard the 70-200mm f2.8 is one of the best lenses Canon makes...

but it depends...which areas of photography you will be taking part in...

if you're gonna be shooting mostly landscapes...you'll need a wide angle more than a telephoto (lol, obviously...)

so, basically, to choose your lenses, just evaluate which types of photography you enjoy the most!

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:30 PM   #12

photosbyvito wrote:
if you're gonna be shooting mostly landscapes...you'll need a wide angle more than a telephoto (lol, obviously...)
I hear a lot of people suggesting wide angles for this and others saying anything can. My only opinion on it is coming from a cascade mountains and often cramped scenes. Often times the viewing angle of a wide angle includes too much of the junk to the side of the shot. I have been known to currently use every bit of 75; and probably up to 300 when i have a good lens for that.

btw. I don't think that it was that ambiguous, technique can ruin more than a good setup can provide.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:41 PM   #13

well, to be honest, I have rarelyactually felt the need for a wide angle for landscapes yet, though at times I have thought it would be nice to have one for a certain shot... butI have never beendistressed over it.

Now on the other hand, many many many times, almost all the time, when I am taking family photos, or photos at church I have felt the need for wide angle, being in too cramped an area to get everyone in the scene sufficiently. Then on the other end, wishing I had good zoom and a flash that would reach ALOT further, or a lense that could handle the interior lighting without a flash, from across the sanctuary, or other large rooms. (it would have been great to have the 70-200 2.8L for a sentimental shot of my great uncle up at the pulpit in front of his congregation of 55 years,... that would have been priceless to me, and now he has just had an amputation and may never be up there again.) Now I think that a photo like that would have beenso amazing,and a lens that could get that photo candidly for me, would have been worth every penny. And what if he does get back up there one day... and there I am by then with 20d anda lens that can do the job! Yes, to me priceless.

Inside the house.. it is mainly silly pet photos.

Outdoors, fall shots, and spring. (snow too...... love the snow scenery) I like shooting farm/rural scenery. Zoom and a fast lens is what will be great about the 70-200 2.8L for the horse shows, and also for capturing my own horses here at home in action. I have missed so many shots because my camera is just not fast enough to catch it. I can't have the horses hold a pose while I get a shot, usually if I catch what I am trying to get it is a miricle. You never really know what they are going to do the next second. Must have fast sharp lens for that. Many times I have reached for a wide angle for shots of them too.. but ofcourse it just wasn't to be had on my current camera (olympus 3040). That comes from the fact that years ago I had a wide angle on an older ragefinder camera, I have missedthe wide angledreadfully since I sold it. I keep missing it.

So, I decided to wait till a great digital slr came out before I upgraded again. and for me the 20d is it. After all I have read on the forums, sounds like these lenses will cover everything I like to shoot. Maybe larger telephoto down the road.. maybe wider angle later... but the rest should be covered very well. Am I right on this?

Technique will come, it is sure to. I have always been an artist and see things thru artist eyes, so I believe with the addition of photography knowledge the technique will happen naturally, as I progress. If it doesn't I am in trouble because this is what I have always loved.
So, as always, I am all ears! I am always open for info!
Thanks for the pointers ... and keep it up as long as you feel like it!

Becky (sorry it is SO long a note!)

Rico1Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:56 AM   #14

You've gotten some good info here, so I'll add something about the tripods which no one has said much on.

I would go with the first one:
3021N Tripod Legs with 3030 Head

This is not becuase I know something about either head, but because by looking at the picture I think I'd prefer the larger cylindar like handles over what the other one has. Usability matters a lot and is impossible to test by just looking at pictures. If you have any way to test out the tripod and head before hand DO SO. Better yet, try to put the same camera/lens on it (borrow one from the store?) and really try it out.

As for tripods in general, the only two brands I often recommend are Bogen/Manfrotto (same company, different name for different parts of the world) and Gitzo (which is actually just the high end of Bogen, so again, same company.) They are not cheap, but they are AMAZINGLY good. If you do a lot of hiking and such (it didn't sound that way, but I only skimmed this thread) then weight & size should also be a serious concern. It might seem light when at the car, but it will feel much heavier after an hour of having it on your shoulder.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:15 PM   #15

Both those tripod kits come with pan/tilt heads. The 3030 looks suspiciously like the Manfrotto (Manfrotto is Bogen in the US) 029, which I have and you cannot adjust that head to get the camera into a vertical position. Myself I made the switch and now prefer a good ball head.

The legs look like the Manfrotto 055c which are very good.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:33 PM   #16

Hello Becky!

I'm also into photographing animals - primarily my two Akitas, one of which hates having his pic taken.

I digress.

I just got my Canon 20D Friday. Like you, I've been picking the brains of the more experienced folks on this board.

I chose to get two lenses, one of which rec'd many high reviews, and one that didn't...

I bought the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8-(forget), and it is an INCREDIBLE lens - even by my relative amatuer status. I also bought the Canon efs 75-300 IS, although many websites didn't think it was all that outstanding. Why? Because I also hunted down pics taken with both lenses and found pics taken with that Canon to be truly stunning. Now, I understand it is a bit soft on the 300mm side and a bunch other stuff. The thing is, most people compared it to a Canon lens THREE times the price! That's like comparing a Toyota to a Mercedes, and although I'm sure the Benz is nice, the Toyota suited my needs. In either case, I can't say one gets groceries any better for ME.

I agree with everyone else - the best equipment you can invest in is your knowledge. Buy good lenses - but the best lens isn't always going to give you a better shot if you don't know how to get the most from it. I've seen some incredible shots with cheap cameras...

I'm never going to be a pro because, frankly, that's not interest (writing first). I DO want to take really great shots that I'll be very happy with and get some "Wow! That's a great pic!" From family and friends.

For me, I'd rather have 3 nice lenses, a nice camera bag, and a very nice tripod & monopod, a few good filters, than to only have 1 good lens and miss some great photo opps.

If you're an amatuer like me, you might be disappointed if you spend $1000 or better on a lens and end up taking pics you still think are average. You can always sell the lenses later and upgrade...

JMHO. What do I know... I'm really new to DSLRs with interchangeable lenses, so thanks for letting me ramble.

The people here are awesome and they have sound advice.

Ghostwriter is offline   Reply With Quote