Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 26, 2004, 10:47 AM   #1

I've seen variations on this question, but nothing quite this specific, so let me give this a try. I am new to SLR photography and am going to be purchasing a digital rebel with the 18-55 mm kit lens. I am also going to purchase the 28-135 IS and 75-300 IS lenses.

I've seen posts that say you need to buy "quality" filters to suit your "quality" lens. This leads me to ask what level of quality filter? Since I'm not buying the top quality L lenses, do I need the top quality filter? As an example, I'll paste in below various Hoya 58mm filters I found at B&H photo on line:

Hoya 58mm UV Haze Glass Filter--$13.50
Hoya 58mm Haze UV(0) (HMC) Multi-Coated Glass Filter--$20.95
Hoya 58mm Haze UV(0) (S-HMC) Super Mullti-Coated Glass Filter--$32.95
Hoya 58mm UV Haze (HMC) Multi-Coated Glass Filter Ultra Thin--$34.50
Hoya 58mm Haze UV(0) Pro1 (S-HMC) Super Multi-Coated Glass Filter--59.95

Which 58 mm filters would you buy for the kit lens and the 75-300 IS? What about the 28-135 IS (which takes a 72mm filter), where I assume there are similar quality levels of Hoya filter?

And while I am asking, how important do you feel that a lens hoods is for each of these three lenses?

jbl917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:40 AM   #2

The primary idea behind UV or ND (neutral density) filters is to protect the front lens element from accidents. You won't realize a whole lot of differences in your choice as far as photo effects. However, combined with other effects filters (stacked) the resultant photo can be altered in appearance.

The lens hood primarily is designed to stop non-subject light from hitting the lens face. Some lenses are very sensitive to reflected/refracted light sources as close as 30° off axis. The second reason for hoods, is the obvious extra 'bump' protection. A lens hood is cheap insurance.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote