Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:11 PM   #11

KeithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:50 PM   #12

$250 for a 500mm F5.6 lens, and with the 2x TC that makes it a 1000mm F8 lens. . .very tempting
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 2:42 PM   #13

KeithT wrote: I trust you read the quoted link about what you have to do to restore infinity focus with a 500 f/5.6 on 300D or similar camera. I have and like my 600mm f/8 Sigma mirror but warn that what they say about depth of field being small is true and since you have only manual focus, following fast action like sports will require some practice. I have taken some photos that I could not have done with a big glass but the percentage of keepers is still less than I would like. Between less than L glass sharpness, no depth of field and error prone manual focussing, I'd still say that whe mirrors are OK 'for the money' but not recommended to people who fail to understand just what they are buying.

dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:50 AM   #14

Are all mirror lenses manual focus? Or is there a autofocus one out there that would be more ideal for sports photography?

Has anyone shot sports photography with success with these mirror lenses?
joshuawinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:19 PM   #15

joshuawinslow wrote:
Are all mirror lenses manual focus?
The Minolta is about the only 1 -> You need a camera that can still AF @ f/8 (ie all low-end Canon are out)!!!

Pre-focus on section of a track can be useful: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ources/reflex/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote