Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:39 PM   #1

What would be a good choice for a second lens? Would prefer a lens with image stabilization. If I go with the kit lens first, I would need something in the 55 to 200 range max. This lens would be used for taking pictures of birds in my backyard and on hiking trips. I was thinking of the 1st DS but found out today Pentax doesn't make lenses with stabilization.

killdeer0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:07 PM   #2

I have the 300D with the kit lens. I also have a 28-200mm and a 75-300. You will find out more of what lenses you will need when you get the camera.

I thought Sigma had stabiliztion lenses for most models. If they do then you could go that route. You don't have to buy Brand Specific lenses for camera.

Good luck with whatever camera and lenses you get. Have fun and enjoy

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:36 PM   #3

The 28-135 IS would be a good second lens, but will leave you a little short for birds. The overall quality of image from the 28-135 is very good. The 75-300 IS is a decent lens, not up to L quality but holds it's own if stopped down a little. I personally don't own any IS lenses, the way they help is to stop your shaking the camera, they don't help at all stopping moving subjects. They might help you handhold a 300mm at less than 1/250, but then you might not stop the action with that shutter speed. I prefer my 300mm prime in burst mode with a higher shutter speed.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote