Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:10 AM   #11

Peri - The Sigma 80-400 looks like a pretty nice lens for the $$$. The weight is more of an issue of carrying than to hold for me. I have arms like tree trunks so that isn't much of an issue. :lol:

The weight is more of an issue on the airlines and the stealth factor while shooting but it is NOT huge like L glass is. Even the Bigma is pretty good quality and I can find one of those in the $800US range and about $150 more for the 80-400. Tough choices indeed.

The shop I called would be more than happy to sell me any of the lenses but the guy said the 300DO is a nice lens but it can be hit or miss on what you are shooting. He said the only real downside to the 80-400 is that it is not quite as fast to focus as the 300 DO but its photos are typically of better quality at all ranges. So based on his comments I started trying to track down shots from other users. He was right, they look great! Same goes for the Bigma too but I really want OS.

Something about having an effective 640mm on the big end is nice and still capable of 80. Said to say but this would be a good walk around lens for a lot of what I would do. It really isn't huge like the L that I was looking at and is more discreet too but not as stealthy as the 300DO. Less cost is a plus though so I can buy another lens, maybe a good WA.

Thanks for all the help.
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote